Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It all started at 8:30 this morning...

...which really isn't too early, except when its only 3:30p.m. on that same day and you have had a day like this! This is quite the chapter in our little story book of life.

So I get up and do the usual routine of getting the kids up, fed, cleaned, and dressed. Packing the diaper bag and into the car. It seriously takes 2 hours. WHY? It takes that long everyday, and it seems like I can never get out of the house. Will it ever get faster and easier? I imagine when the kids are older. (BTW, I wasn't even ready.) So tack on another hour for that. So as I am driving around the corner out of my neighborhood I hear Tate grunting. His morning poo. I think to myself: "You should probably turn around and get a change of clothes and change his diaper." Tate is famous (practically everyday) for the poops that go down his legs and up his back. I decide to for-go the turn around because of how long it took to get out of the house and I JUST WANT TO GO TO THE GYM! Is this too much to ask?

I get to the gym parking lot, and yep, its the worst ever. Up his back and down to his ankles. Luckily, my mom only lives a couple miles from the gym. So I pack him back in and get to my moms where I bathe Tate and throw his clothes in the wash. I got her to watch Tate while I took Lilly back to the kids club at the gym while I worked out. This was the first time (besides nursery last Sunday) that I have ever left her to be babysat by strangers with lots of other kids. YIKES! I just get all sorts of anxiety. I'm probably too protective of my kids but I don't care. So I'm running on the treadmill and they have tv's in front of them where I can turn it onto a certain channel and watch the kids club. I run as I watch these mean boys hit her with a toy car and she starts crying and walking over to all the workers with her arms up in the air saying if she could, "please pick me up!" It broke my heart so I hurried and got back in there, cutting my workout short.

I proceed to the car where I buckle Lilly in, throw my wallet, keys, and water bottle on the seat. I shut the door, and it LOCKS! It had never done that before. I try coaxing Lilly to pull up the lock and she keeps trying but she just can't do it. After about 5 minutes I start panicking and run into the gym to call a locksmith. The wait is over an hour so we call 911. So yes, firetrucks, policeman, the whole 9 shows up. I'm pretty panicky because its been about 20 minutes and Lilly is sweating and crying and she is trying so hard to open the door but can't.

Since our car is a 2010, they told me they didn't have the new equipment to get in easily and so there was a fire fighter on each door trying to get the doors open but nothing is budging. I'm thinking that I am about to break the window by now. After trying for what seemed like an hour one of the cops said to me, "too bad you don't have on-star" OH BUT I DO! Thanks to my wonderful husband, which is a whole other story because I got mad at him the day he was having it installed because it took so long, blah blah blah. Basically, this long explanation comes to an end because all they had to do was call on-star and they opened our doors. When we got Lilly out of the car she was very hot and pale, they were nervous for a little bit, but she cooled off quickly and was back to her chatty self. Thank goodness it wasn't 118 in the summer. What a stressful day. All just to go to the dang gym.

I now love On-Star. I think I might purchase it after our free year trial.

P.S. The cops were like "is your spare key close by?" Me: "ya, its pretty close, its in the glove box." I blamed it on my blonde hair.

17 comments:

tracey said...

Yikes! What a stressful day. Just know you are in the company of many mothers who have had similar situations... Welcome to the club!

Tiff Hunt said...

OH MY GOSH!! I'm so sorry. I'm glad that you and Miss Lilly are ok. How Scary!! I can't even imagine how you must have felt as a mom. Thank heavens for On-Star. We have them too and I love it!

Marissa said...

Oh no! I would've been in tears if my little one was locked in the car. Thank goodness for On Star! I keep telling Scott I want it on our next car but he always says we'll never need it. Thanks for giving me some ammo for that next conversation. Hope your day gets better. Yikes, so glad Lilly was ok!

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Yikes! What a crazy/scary day! I'm glad everything turned out okay. I accidentally locked Reece in the car a few months ago - and it was when I had no phone - it is a sickening feeling!

Rachel said...

Replace the "gym" with "sister in law's wedding reception" and I call DITTO. It was so horrible, I bawled and took 45 minutes to calm down.

Jamie said...

Nat I'm sorry you had such a bad day. Things will get easier. You have such young babies that require so much work for each. Just hang in there. I promise, it will get easier.
When the rain stops let's rollerblade to the park again. I promise I won't let Grady put sand on Lily's head again. Loves.

Jen and Grant said...

Oh man. I do that exact thing when I put Hudson in the car. Ditch the keys and purse until I'm done with the kid. I guess I should think twice if that's possible.

Unknown said...

OH. MY GOSH! You poor thing. If that were to happen and you didn't have onstar, or for anyone that might read this, have them break you windshield. It's only the 139+ to have it fixed. It's the cheapest of all the car windows. Glad Lilly was okay.

Laura said...

NATALIE!! OH NO! What a horrible no good very bad start to your day! I'm so glad Lilly is okay - I can't imagine how freaked out you were. I've thought about if something like that happened to me, and just the thought is enough to freak me out!
As for it taking forever to get out of the house -- it gets better, but never as easy as just getting yourself ready & leaving...

You're a great mom - hang in there! It's a good thing days like that don't happen everyday, right? Otherwise, we'd throw in the towel and ask to be un-mommed.
Love ya!

Monica said...

Oh man. I have thought about that happening ever so often when I think the door locked with the kids inside but it never has. Way stressful. I'm glad you had on-star too. What are you doing with a 2010 car you spoled jabroni? I'm glad it all worked out!

Sarah LeSueur said...

Hi Natalie! This is Sarah LeSueur (Shobe). I found your blog from Julie's. You look great and your family is so cute! What a terrible day...at least you probably got more of a workout than if you stayed on the treadmill longer :) I have a blog too: texassundevils.blogspot.com

Marie said...

I would have given up at 8:45, so you're awesome for sticking with it!! I've locked my niece in the car IN THE SUMMER and had to call 9-1-1...I feel your embarrassment. They didn't have onstar though or a spare key. Thank goodness you have onstar and they didn't have to break your window!

Queen of Kings said...

Holy Cow Natalie what a crazy day! I am glad Lilly is ok and sorry you had such a stressful morning DANG GYM ha ha! Good Call on the On Star I bet Josh put in his 2 cents after that :) what kind of a car did you get? No more camry? I am glad everything worked out!

k and j said...

OH WOW. I locked Nolan in the car bawling for an hour. It was horrible. I wanted to die and yes, the cops had to come to help us too!

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing!!! That is a scary story. I am so glad everyone is okay.

It took me 8 months to feel like I could function with 2 kids, but don't worry, it will get easier! :)

Beth said...

Now THAT is a bad day! Geeesh. I think I'd give up on the whole gym idea after that ;)

Sandra said...

Did you apologize to Josh. Just joking. I am sure Lilly was frightened with all those men trying to break in. But if there is a next time, you will know to call On Star without hesitation